Monday, July 25, 2011
I started this new one last week on Wednesday. Came up with one verse (the first one) and knew I had something in there that could keep me going. I added the first line of the second verse later that same day and then let it sit for a while.
I really, actually, didn’t think I’d finish this song. Thought about giving it to Pamela to finish off. Here’s why:
I figured I’d just go at it the way I always do when I really work on writing a song. Find a small formula and exploit it. And then repeat and repeat and repeat until the song starts sounding boring.
I didn’t want that, so I figured Pamela would be able to add something new.
But then I forgot to give her the song, and one thing lead to another, and I went and finished it on Saturday night.
And, yeah, I did exactly what I always do. If you’ve been paying attention at all, you’ll pick up on the cues. You’ll hear the repetition and the way I just sink right into a simple equation. Just like long division.
But, I gotta say, that it worked this time. This song’s goin someplace. I’m not sure exactly where yet, cause I think it still needs a little work, but I won’t let it slide on by that’s for sure.